- practice in writing a recommendation report
- explain the functions of a CMS focusing on strengths and weaknesses
- present and support findings through research and practice with an eye to business objectices
You will get hands-on experience with a content management environment. You will write a report that includes a summary of the features of three CMSs and a review of your experience, evaluating that system for your classmates.
Everyone will analyze WordPress because it is one of the most popular CMSs in the world. Some estimates put WordPress as powering up to 25% of all sites on the web. Then you can choose any two that you would like. We will install these three CMSs in separate directories in your folder you created on tek-ritr.
You may work in teams (of up to three people) if you wish. Please let me know if you are doing this option and whom you would like to work with.
N.B. I am aware that with a fairly simple google web search that you can find all sorts of charts and sites that compare and contrast the features of the most popular CMSs. This is one of the reasons I am requiring you to install the CMS on my website because I will check to ensure that things have been changed and dummy content has been added.
You may want to consider organizing your report on strengths and weaknesses by specific and common characteristics such as
- how easy was it to add and customize the navigation?
- how could you add security features for read/write/review features for a team?
- what are the options for the design through templates and such and the relative ease of changing these things?
- what about social media integration?
- are there ways to make the CMS easily accessible?
- what is the learning curve like (that is, was one easier and more intuitive to figure out to get something up and running quickly)?
These are only suggestions and are offered here to give you a prompt on potential ways to think about this assignment and organize yourself. Please do not simply follow this list. You need to explore and figure out what you think are the most important features and then compare and contrast across the tools.
Think of this assignment as if you were working for a smallish company where that company was hosting their website much like my own domain where your test CMSs reside.
A visually appealing, well-organized, and well-written informational report that includes the strengths and weaknesses of the CMSs you reviewed, as well a summary of the features.
In a separate memo to me, please provide your experiences and thoughts on those experiences as you did this assignment. The purpose of this part of the assignment is to get you to think critically adn reflexively on the experience of a learning new technologies.
In class on the due date,
- be prepared to discuss your work and make a case for which one you would prefer to use
- be prepared to make something of a business strategy case for why you would choose or recommend the one of the CMSs
Collaboratively, we will create a quick reference guide on the strengths and weaknesses of the systems you reviewed based on how they would be used by a content strategist.
March 2, 2016