Topic: Process/ Post Process v. Product
Read/skim for class:
- Process theory summary from wikipedia
- Breuch, Lee-Ann Kastman. (2002). Post-Process “Pedagogy”: A Philosophical Exercise. jac: A journal of rhetoric, culture, & politics, 22(1), 119-150.
- Dubinsky, James M. “(2015). Products and Processes: Transition from “Product Documentation to … Integrated Technical Content. Technical Communication, 62(2), 118-134.
- Pimentel, Octavio, Pimentel, Charise, and Dean, John. (2016). The myth of the colorblind classroom: White instructors confront white privilege in their classrooms. In Frankie Condon and Vershawn Ashanti Young, (Eds), Performing antiracist pedagogy in rhetoric, writing, and communication (109-122). The WAC Clearinghouse; University Press of Colorado. https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/books/antiracist/pimentel.pdf (counter story in some way that isn’t specific about process or product but it really is)
- Kalan, Amir. (2014). A practice-oriented definition of post-process second language writing theory. TESL Canada Journal, 32 (1), 1-18, https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a21e/d1b674980e26f444749ef7dd2166b6e52bf5.pdf
Do for class:
- Find a reading in your area that talks about the process or product of how you approach composition. Post the citation only here:
- At the half-way point, let’s put process and product into action: what threads have emerged as important for you through the first half of the course. Can be a bulleted list or a short paragraph (let’s say less than 300 words). Post them here before class:
- Due Illustrate assignment: In addition to sending your assignment to me via email, please upload your illustration to the following google folder.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1luWwqihadwM2fGClAwQWUoxXpkwi3Ui7?usp=sharing
- Discuss readings
- what your big takeaway was about particularly in light of your own selected reading
- Be prepared to share your reading and how it relates to the others (or some other things that you know)
- Consider why, or not, process theory has been a consistent theme in composition theory and how it could be problematic (or not) considering counter stories?
- Illustrate assignment debrief and review of illustrations
- Be prepared to share why you took the illustrate approach you did and the one thing that reading historically showed you about “composition theory” and your chosen approach