Topic: assessment and outcomes
Read/Skim for class:
- Poe, Mya, Inoue, Asao B., & Elliot, Norbert (Eds.). (2018). Writing Assessment, Social Justice, and the Advancement of Opportunity: WAC Clearinghouse; University Press of Colorado.
- braid of assessment with the assertions
- Inoue, Asao B. (2015). Antiracist writing assessment ecologies: Teaching and assessing writing for a socially just future. Fort Collins, CO & Anderson, SC: the WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. https://wac.colostate.edu/books/perspectives/inoue/
- Chapter 2
- Inoue, Asao B. (2019). Labor-Based Grading Contracts: Building Equity and Inclusion in the Compassionate Writing Classroom. : The WAC Clearinghouse; University Press of Colorado. https://wac.colostate.edu/books/perspectives/labor/ The intro only
- Outcomes statement http://wpacouncil.org/aws/CWPA/pt/sd/news_article/243055/_PARENT/layout_details/false
- Clegg, G., Lauer, J., Phelps, J., & Melonçon, L. (2020). Programmatic Outcomes in Undergraduate Technical and Professional Communication Programs. Technical Communication Quarterly, 1-15. doi:10.1080/10572252.2020.1774662
- Behm, Nicholas, Glau, Gregory R., Holdstein, Deborah H., Roen, Duane, & White, Edward (Eds.). (2012). The WPA Outcomes Statement-A Decade Later. Anderson, SC: Parlor Press.
Do for class:
- Find your own text related to how you see assessment and outcomes. Remember you are finding this text as it relates to who you are as a teacher/scholar and/or how you are defining “composition theory.”
- Plan on answering the following questions as they relate to the readings I gave you and your own:
- –what do you see as the key terms of the require explication and understanding in Inoue and the Poe et al text? How would you define these terms?
- –what role do these terms play in relation your understanding of assessment and feedback?
- –what assertion were drawn to and why?
- –if you had to make a 100 word or less statement about your vision/positionality of feedback and assessment (in whatever context you position yourself in such as writing center or workplace or grading creative writing or doing/learning admin work of FYC or PTC), what would that statement be (particularly in light of the readings—mine and yours—for the week)?
- discussion of readings
- what you feel is the difference between assessment and outcomes (chat text)
- quick overview of the upcoming assignments