Topic: Content (again), Media, Child Themes
Read for Class:
- From Safari Books Online (link is if you need instructions on how to access)
- Tris Hussey, WordPress Absolute Beginner’s Guide, Ch. 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 (skim)
- Thord Hedengren, Smashing WordPress, Ch. 5 (child themes)
- Karol Krol, WordPress 4 complete, Ch. 4
- More on child themes
- Lynda.com tutorial:Wordpress: Building child themes by Morton Rand-Henriksen (totally optional if you need/want more information. It’s a good tutorial)
- Responsive design won’t fix your content problem
Do for class:
- Bring to class your group’s IA with a justification of it.
- Bring to class a content inventory including what media (if any) you think you may need.
- Be prepared to discuss your personas in light of your IA and content inventory.
- Also think through what additional audiences (as I mentioned in class I believe there are 3) you may have missed. Hint: most of your personas are too broad. That is problematic. Think through what it could mean if you narrowed them down.
- Discuss the readings
- define widgets, plugins, static pages, posts, dashboard, media, header, customize
- pros/cons of child themes and whether your project requires one
- Discuss the readings as they relate to your revision project
- create a top ten list of writing for the web “rules”
- project work and generate question list for client (if needed)