The Recommendation Report project student facing instructions and supplemental exercises included here are aimed at helping students work through an actionable solution to a real-world problem. First, students identify a local, real-world issue. Once identified, they undergo a process of in-depth collaborative research and writing that culminates in a detailed written report and oral presentation suggesting one realistic, feasible solution to the problem they chose.
Some general pedagogical goals of the project are:
- Analyzing audience and purpose
- Composing for a specific audience and purpose with a tailored writing style
- Creating and integrating visuals
- Engagement in significant research
- Participation in collaborative work
The scope and dynamics of this project are highly adaptable across TPC courses and curricula—engineering, business, health sciences, urban planning, sustainability, etc.