October 1, 2019
Read for Class
You can skim all of these and none of them are overly long.
- Ladner, S. (2012). Practical Ethnography: A Guide to Doing Ethnography in the Private Sector.
- LaFrance, M. (3019). Institutional ethnography : a theory of practice for writing studies researchers. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press. Introduction (Available through the library as an etext.)
- Hovde, M. R. (2017). Preparing technical communication students for workplace practitioner research. Paper presented at the 2017 IEEE International Professional Communication Conference (ProComm).
Do for class:
- bring to class a couple of questions/comments about these articles. Questions or comments are those points that you had a question about or a question about how the readings fit into larger conversations or a comment on something you found interesting or disturbing or what have you.
- bring in an article from your field/area that describes a specific application in the world, that is, find a piece that tries to move theory into practice into some way remembering that your definition(s) or practice or application can definitely vary
- guest visit from Laura Runge
- discussion of the readings
- exercise on connections between them; consider these in relation to the idea of apparatus
- considerations of doing and making with these
- prepare questions for our guest next week