September 24, 2019
Topic: Theoretical Framework
Read for Class:
- Agamben, G. (2009). What is apparatus and other essays (D. Kishik & S. Pedatella, Trans.). Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. Read what is an apparatus. Full text is attached.
- Clifton, J., Loveridge, J., & Long, E. (2016). A Constructive Approach to Infrastructure: Infrastructure ‘Breakdowns’ and the Cultivation of Rhetorical Wisdom. Community Literacy Journal, 11(1), 22-32.
Do for class:
- be prepared to ask questions about the essay and the article
- think through how you might use this idea of apparatus or infrastructure
- bring in an article from your field/area that discusses a theory that could be potentially used to understand institutions and/or infrastructures
- guest: Rob Kilgore
- discussion of reading
- discuss connection between Agamben and Foucault and what that means for knowledge in action
- exercise on using apparatus or infrastructure
- what connections can you see between Ahmed, Anzuldúa, and Agamben?
- prepare questions for our guest next week