August 27, 2019
Read for Class
- Book VI of the Nicomachean ethics by Aristotle (this is linked to the whole book. You only need to read the book noted.)
Do for class:
- answer the following questions and send to me prior to the beginning of class:
- how would you define rhetoric? action?
- what do you feel is the relationship of theory to practice/praxis?
- when you hear the word knowledge what goes to mind?
- describe yourself (at the moment) in terms of who you believe you are as a teacher/scholar/practitioner. If this has changed, please tell me why it has changed. (The goal of this is to get you thinking about your next steps, whatever they may be.)
- tell me what requirement or curiosity this course fills.
- discussion of Aristotle’s ethics in relation to your answers from “do for class”
- overview of the course structure
- introduction to institutions and administration and management (or our extended example for the term)