Topics Practice: more on working with and analyzing data
Read for Class:
- Markham, Annette N. (2013). Undermining ‘data’: A critical examination of a core term in scientific inquiry. First Monday, 18(10).
- Gitelman, L. (2013). “Raw data” is an oxymoron. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (scan the intro; skim chapter 1)
- Driscoll, Kevin, & Walker, Shawn. (2014). Working within a black box: Transparency in the collection and production of big Twitter data. International Journal of Communication, 8, 1745-1764.
Do for class:
- consider how the idea of big data and even just data can influence your research study design. Pose two questions/comments about what role data play in research.
- how do ideas of big data or data in general work in relation to our classroom example??
- discussion of the readings
- AMA on research and your debriefs of your projects
Due: Create Assignment