Topic: Classroom Research 2
Read for Class:
Skim all around. Except the diagram. Look at the diagram.
- St.Amant, K., & Meloncon, L. (2016). Addressing the incommensurable: A research-based perspective for considering issues of power and legitimacy in the field. Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 46(3), 267-283.
- Rude, C. D. (2015). Building identity and community through research. Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 45(4), 366-380.
- Thralls, C., & Blyler, N. R. (1993). The social perspective and pedagogy in technical communication. Technical Communication Quarterly, 2(3), 249. (*.pdf)
- diagram_explanation (*.docx) and study_design_methodology (*.pdf)
- Informed Choices Chapter 2 and 3
- Planning for the First Day of Class (Thanks Kaitlin)
- Chapter 4 Teaching at its best
Do for class:
- Be prepared to do in an in-class exercise that describes your approach to research (like your methodology, methods, practices, literally how you get started)
- Bring a short paper that attempts to connect the readings from this week to the readings from 2-27. Your goal is to not summarize the research, but attempt to summarize how/why I had you read these as it relates to your upcoming research assignment. Your paper should end with three good questions about what you read, concerns about how they go together, questions about your upcoming assignment, questions about the research process….in short just three well informed questions connected to the topic.
- Come up with one research question/problem based on the syllabi and/or assignments coding you looked at earlier in the term
Guest Speaker: Ashley Patriarca
- doing pedagogical and programmatic research
- debrief syllabus assignment
- teacher persona and classroom management
- mini-presentations from students